Podium for Pither at Bathurst

Paul Dumbrell has converted his ARMOR ALL Pole Position to claim his second consecutive victory of the V8 Supercars Dunlop Series mini-enduro. The two-time Dunlop Series Champion secured the jump at the race start, moving into the lead by XBOX Hell Corner ahead of Cam Waters.

He held the lead until pitting under safety car on lap 17, but soon re-took his place at the front of the field as rain started to fall on Mount Panorama. Despite the precipitation, Dumbrell braved the conditions and continued to push car 1, setting the race lap record on lap 29 with a 2min06.73.

“It was pretty gnarly out there, but dried out,” Dumbrell said of the conditions. “Great to have the number one car back in number one.”

Series leader Cameron Waters took the chequered flag in second after a fierce battle with Ice Break Racing’s Chris Pither.

“I can’t thank my team enough,” commented Pither. “After yesterday most people would have put it in the ‘too hard basket’ and rolled the car into the trailer, but the MW Motorsport crew worked late last night to get it back together for today’s race.

“The ICE BREAK Falcon was spot on, the strategy was perfectly executed and I was able to pick up a podium result from starting last which was a great feeling.

“There were a few hairy moments but I had so much fun planning passes and pushing to the limit in the changing conditions.”

Pither started the race from the rear of the grid to drive his way through the field and begin challenging Dumbrell for the race lead. But Dumbrell soon pulled a gap, leaving him in the sights of a charging Waters. The Prodrive Racing Australia young gun began his assault for Pither’s second place on lap 20 when the two made contact at high-speed on the approach to the chase.

The Ice Break Falcon was slightly unsettled by the contact, but held on in second until Waters got the job done on lap 31.

After massive overnight repairs for car 8, Andrew Jones brought the Alliance Truck Parts entry home in fourth, ahead of Todd Hazelwood in fifth. Paul Morris crossed the line in sixth after an intense battle with young guns James Golding, Macauley Jones and Garry Jacobson.

Golding and Jones finished seventh and eighth respectively, while Jacobson came off second best when Morris pushed Jones into his Eggleston Motorsport Commodore at the last turn. He was sent off the track, but salvaged 10th place.

Strategy didn’t pay off for Jack Le Brocq, who finished 9th after starting the race in 3rd.

Liam McAdam finished 11th on his Dunlop Series debut, ahead of Simon Evans in 12th.

Denyer salvaged 13th position after he was sent off the track by Davies on lap 3 when the rookie tried to dive down the inside of the TV personality at XBOX Hell Corner.

Davies couldn’t pull it up and took out Matt Chahda in the process, who got bogged in the sand, deploying the safety car.

No further action was taken for the clash, which left Denyer with a damaged left rear and filled his cabin with smoke.

Davies, Aaron McGill, Bryce Fullwood and Renee Gracie finished a lap down, while Aaren and Drew Russell completed 38 of the 40 laps.

Ant Pedersen and Chahda failed to finish, while Kean’s day disappointingly ended when he collected the wall at Reid Park on lap 10, heavily damaging the diff housing on car 21.

The Dunlop Series resumes at the final round of the series: the Coates Hire Sydney 500.

Related Stories

Join in the conversation!