Top Australian Junior category karters, Cody Brewczynski and Jac Preston, have crossed the Tasman to contest the third and fourth (double-header) rounds of this year’s Giltrap Group New Zealand Rotax Max Challenge at Rotorua this weekend.
Brewczynski, 14, from Sydney, won the Junior Max class at the opening round of this year’s Australian Rotax Pro Tour in Melbourne and after two subsequent rounds lies third in the class point standings.
Preston, 12, from Queensland, is also contesting this year’s Rotax Pro Tour in his home country and currently lies sixth in the points standings in the Junior Trophy class.
The weekend’s meeting is the second of four double header (each day of racing constitutes a different points round) ones which make up this year’s new-look eight round Giltrap Group-backed Rotax Max Challenge of New Zealand.
The meeting, at the KartSport Rotorua club’s 1241 metre track at Amoore Rd high in the Mamaku Ranges west of the city has again attracted a 70+-strong field across five different Rotax categories.
Defending class title holders Daniel Connor and Ryan Urban enjoyed the best possible start to their 2016 seasons, claiming wins on both days at the first double-header meeting in Palmerston North in February.
Connor heads to Rotorua with the lead in the Rotax Max Light class over young gun Dylan Drysdale from Palmerston North and Kaleb Currie from Auckland.
Urban, who last year claimed DD2 Masters class honours here and at the Rotax Max category’s Grand Finals meeting in Portugal, heads the DD2 Masters category with 182 points, nine more than former UK Challenge class winner Tiffany Chittenden and 15 more than Palmerston North ace Callum Orr.
In DD2, Aucklander Mathew Kinsman leads former class winners and Grand Finals representatives Josh Hart and Daniel Bray, while Matthew Payne from Pukekohe is the driver to beat in Rotax Junior after dominating the class at Palmerston North.
Finally, with two different round winners at Palmerston North, its closest, points-wise, in the Rotax Max Heavy class where Hamilton’s Campbell Joyes has a one point lead over Aucklander Keith Wilkinson.
Points after Rnd 2 of 8
Rotax Max Light
1. Daniel Connor 181 points; 2. Dylan Drysdale 175; 3. Kaleb Currie 165; 4=. Jacob Cranston & Chris Cox 162; 6. Ashleigh Stewart 156.
1. Mat Kinsman 182 points; 2. Josh Hart 174; 3. Daniel Bray 166; 4. Dylan Drysdale 164; 5. James Blair 154; 6. Mason Armstrong 149.
1. Ryan Urban 182 points; 2. Tiffany Chittenden 173; 3. Callum Orr 167; 4. Stuart Marshall 161; 5. Karl Wilson 160; 6. Aarron Cunningham 157.
Rotax Max Heavy
1. Campbell Joyes 175 points; 2. Keith Wilkinson 174; 3. Daniel Bugler 162; 4. Zach Zaloum 160; 5. Lane Moore 155; 6. Kevin Barker 154.
1. Matthew Payne 182 points; 2. Ryan Wood 171; 3. Madeline Stewart 165; 4. Reece Hendl-Cox 161; 5. Rianna O’Meara-Hunt 150; 6. Sebastian Noble 149