Having already postponed the opening Christchurch round of the Carter’s Tyre Service South Island Endurance Series due to the current Covid-19 lock-down levels within New Zealand, organisers have decided to also postpone the second round due to be held at Teretonga Park, Invercargill, 18 September 2021.
This Saturday, 4 September 2021, was to be the first of four rounds of the series at the Mike Pero Motorsport Park in Christchurch. With an outbreak of Covid-19 and the level 4 lock-down over the whole of New Zealand, the date of the Christchurch round was moved to Saturday 6 November and the second round, in Invercargill, was set to become the first.
Organisers now hope to start the Series at the Highlands Motorsport Park in Cromwell, 2 October, which was originally to be the third round.
“There is currently no certainty that the South Island will indeed move to Level 2 in 7 days (from the 8 September), said Cate Paddon, South Island Endurance Racing Drivers Club secretary. “While it seems we are heading in this direction, it is still not a guarantee.
“A further level change in a weeks time would be the best outcome for all involved, but would still only allow just over a week for everyone to get ready and prepared for the season kick off. Worst case, if Level 3 was extended it would not allow us much reaction time at all.”
Compounding the problem is the Auckland area still remaining in level 4 lock-down until 14 September, and then likely to drop to level 3, impacting the participation of key sponsors, tyre suppliers, Sky TV providers and North Island competitors.
“These guys have supported us for many years now and we wish to support them as best we can in these uncertain times. Not to mention the array of North Island machinery that we love to contest the titles against.”
Paddon and the Teretonga circuit owners are confident of rescheduling the Teretonga event which will now become either the third of fourth round of the series.
“The season is now scheduled to start at Highlands Motorsport Park,” commented Paddon “We will not be able to reschedule this round or any others should Covid remain an issue.”