McFarlane’s seal win in ASKO Three Hour at Ruapuna

| Photographer Credit: Euan Cameron Photography

A consistent performance on top of the team’s hard work has resulted in a win for the father/son driver pairing of Angus and George McFarlane (Porsche 997 Cup R) at the second round of the ASKO Three Hour Endurance Series, at Mike Pero Motorsport Park, Christchurch. Having faced the disappointment of a puncture on the penultimate lap while leading at the opening round at Teretonga, the win was well deserved.

“There has been a lot of hard work and effort gone in since Teretonga,” commented Angus. “To drive with my son and win is absolutely fantastic. The car ran well, it was a good clean drive and I thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Second home was the winner of the first round, Scott O’Donnell/Allan Dippie (Porsche 997 Cup S).
“We’re rapt with second,” said O’Donnell. “On paper there are cars out here that are much quicker per lap, but the Porsche is such a reliable and consistent car and you always need to finish.”

Third home was the Danny Stutterd/Sam Fillmore Porsche 997 GT3. Having crossed the line in second earlier in the day in the One Hour race, the pair was disqualified for a regulation breach,

“It’s been a massive day competing in both the One and Three Hour races,” commented Stutterd. “The car has run so well and the racing has been great.”

V8 power threatened to dominate the race as it was the very quick Matt and Dwayne Carter V8 Supercar that immediately took the lead from the V8 SuperTourer of Simon McLennan/Richard Moore, followed by the Inky Tulloch/John McIntyre SaReNi Camaro GT3. All three were soon to strike trouble.

First the McLennan/Moore SuperTourer spun off after 12 laps with a broken differential. Just before the halfway mark the Carters V8 Supercar took a long pit stop with a sway arm problem on the left front wheel. This was to continue to plague them and saw their eventual retirement after 90 laps.

The SaReNi Camaro GT3 then struck electrical problems which affected the paddle shifting gear selection. While still able to circulate, they were not able to challenge for the lead and finished fifth.

The second debut of the MRX Chevy Cruise V8 came to a halt after 35 laps. An in-tank fuel pump failed dropping them into retirement after running in the top ten.

With the V8 retirements the new Porsche trio of McFarlane/McFarlane, O’Donnell/Dippie and Stutterd/Fillmore that moved into the top three places just before the two hour mark. And these positions weren’t going to change.

Behind them the return of Hayden Knighton/Kane Lawson (Porsche 997 GT3) to the series saw the pair put in a consistent performance to finish fourth overall.

Coming home sixth was the sleek twin Turbo Toyota 86 of Craig and Scott McDermid who also won Class 1 (3501cc+) from opening round winners Darryl Barrett/Hamish Frew (RX7 V8).

In Class 2 (2001-3500cc) Shane Helms/Rob Bolland (BMW M3 turbo) came home ahead of Seat Supercopa of Jim Wallace/Stephen Grellet.

Class 3&4 (0-2000cc) victors Jayden Dodge/Matt Williams in their Honda Integra finished a well-deserved ninth overall.

The series now moves to the grand finale at Levels Raceway, Timaru where the overall 3 Hour Series champion will be awarded the South Canterbury Toyota Cup.

Benjamin Carrell is a freelance motorsport writer and currently edits He writes for a number of Kiwi drivers and motorsport clubs. That's when he's not working in his horticultural day-job or training for the next road or mtb cycle race!

Related Stories

GR86 Championship car revealed

TalkMotorsport Medium Read Length MEDIUM READ

Join in the conversation!